Google+ What I Made Today: A Transfer of Scent

Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Transfer of Scent


I was all set to blog last night and then ... life happened ... life in the form of a comedy of errors.

Now, I had been in and out all day, and while I closed the slider, I did not latch it. Keep in mind that this is a solid wood door with heavy double glass panes. It's quite weighty.

I'm not really sure of the sequence of events, but the bottom line is my dog, sweet Halley Josephine, got the door open, liberated herself, all in pursuit of ... a skunk. Need I say more?

One blessing in this is that the skirmish took place over the patch of garden where I had just planted my baby salsa tomatoes and infant Italian basil, and through some protective miracle of Nature they were all just fine this morning. The mulch was strewn hither-n-yon, but the plants appeared untouched. I am truly baffled and immensely grateful.

Needless to say, she got one wash down last night and slept in the garage. This morning I went shopping which resulted in three more wash downs and serious hose-rinses. The little willful bitch was not at all pleased. Truth is, I was less pleased - of this I am certain. Yet, despite the fact that she is smelling quite a bit better now, and I'm feeling quite skunky, I love her. So much. So freakin' much.

And I can't shake this feeling that she's somehow channeling me from my teen years.

Who'm I kiddin'? I'm still a willful bitch.

Peace.

12 comments:

coltpixy said...

What a beautiful dog! I got this recipe from kibbles but fortunately have not needed to use it yet...

To remove skunk smell
1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon Dawn or other dish soap
Mix in an open container and thoroughly wet the dog. Let is stand for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.

Nothinglikeit said...

Ha Ha! I have not visited in a while, great story.

Love the recipe coltpixy left you - you could have used it last night!

I'd add one more line to the recipe - leave the dog in the garage over night - lol

Patty-Cake Manners said...

Reminds me of the time our dog, (funnily enough named Lily Josephine!) rolled in a pile of dead salmon...horrific and long lasting! Good luck with the washdowns.

astitchintime9 said...

She is lucky she is so damn cute. :) I guess we can't underestimate the power in a dog who needs to chase something. They will move tons much like a mother saving her child. I never had a dog get sprayed but I definately had a cat sleep on a dead mouse for a few days. He stashed it for later and we found the flat mouse in his bed. Ew.

Divaeva said...

*giggles*
Halley Josephine got her hair did!
again, and again....
She is too adorable...even sporting her new wet look!

Rebecca Sue Peters said...

I've heard tomato juice works well.

Plantress said...

Hmm aren't we all still a little bit like our teenage selves-just depends how close to the surface it is. Well here I am, making your day with a comment. I had some delic tea w/fresh mint today. I made a necklace. What else? We have a lab who loves skunk and I use skunk out on him. You put it on as a leave in on the wet fur. An odor eliminator.

Almay Alday said...

Love this post! Your dog has a great name!

Walk in the Woods said...

Thanks to you all for your shared experience, idea and chuckles! And coltpixy, that formula was recommended by a few folks and that's what I used (slightly modified) along with ACV rub downs.

She's smelling much, much, much better!

Leta Porter said...

Oh my gosh. Well, they say Karma can be a Bitch ;) Your dog is so very Cute Rose. Bet she will remember that If I chase skunks I get major baths Hmmm is it worth it~~

Campbell Jane said...

Oh man! It's funny but it's not! P U I also heard that tomato juice works but thank goodness I've never had to try it. I would hate to imagine my dog channeling my teen years! LOL

Laura Rose said...

OMG!! :)