Friday, July 26, 2013
Yesterday I harvested the last of the viable rhubarb and tidied up that garden bed. I cleaned, chopped and measured it, and from there decided to make a variation of my Rhubarb Preserves using some black currants that needed using.
To ensure that the dried herbs, especially the citrus peel, softened nicely (which was an issue with a batch of black currant preserves I made earlier this year), I placed them in the giant pot that everything would eventually make it to, added just enough water to cover, brought it to the simmer and then let it steep, covered until cool.
The chopped rhubarb was tossed with the sugar, which draws out the moisture of the "fruit," and eventually added to the pot, topped with the black currants and covered to sit over night. It's amazing how juicy it gets!
This morning I lit the flame beneath the pot to bring it, gently, to a simmer and let it simmer while the jars were sterilizing.
The jars were packed and processed with love. It's quite beautiful and delicious.
And for those who want my ratios, here they are:
26 cups rhubarb, chopped
6 cups black currants
1 cup dried rosehips
¾ cup dried orange peel
8 cups cane sugar
That's what I made Today.